Thursday 13 March 2014

New Google Maps on your computer - slow, clunky, lack of control

I won't rant on about this "update" too much, because I think everyone already has.
I use Google Maps for book research as well as getting around my area and other cities. And now I've gotten used to using it I don't want there to be less options. Happy enough with more, but don't take things away!
My main issue is that we don't have a choice. I tried the new way for a while then turned it off (when there was a choice). Now that there is no choice, I want my money back! Oh wait, I didn't pay anything.
I guess that's the thing in the end, it's free so they can pretty much do what ever they want. Annoying, but true.
First annoying thing about the new Google Maps: It takes quite a while for things to happen. I'm not big on the special things new programs can do where they fade in and genie up or whatever. I would rather the bare brass kind of program. Gets the job done and quickly!
There is also the annoying issue with not being able to drag the little orange person to where you want it to go once you dropped it. However, you can click where you want it to go, so sort of works. But then there is the issue of the map being too small and that there is no "pin" to show you where you were.
Follow me? No? Nor does the little orange person. Let me try to explain.
Once you drop the orange person, the map does that special drain swirl thing (while I grind my teeth waiting for it to finish) and then shows the street view. Great, but I want the map bigger so I can see where I am because I don't know this part of the city.
Nope, sorry, what you see is what you get.
Fine, whatever. I'll just move the map around or drop the orange person in different places so I can see where I am and where I want to go or search around.
You can, but once you start moving around the map you will notice that your "pin" for the address or area you were checking out does not show up in that map. You have to go back to the full map and start over.
Sigh. Close program and forget about it.

P.S. They are letting you change back to the old Google Maps. Maybe I'll change back again once they fix the problems.
 Maps: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3045828?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment